Life in rural Liberia
According to IFAD over 80% of Liberians are surviving on less than $1.25 a day and three quarters of the poor live in rural areas like Little Bassa. 70% of the population are employed in the agricultural sector which accounts for 60% of GDP. However, small-scale farmers in the country are counted as the some of the poorest people in the country!
The FAO distinguishes Liberia as ‘a low-income, food-deficit country, reporting that about half of the population is food-insecure or highly vulnerable to food insecurity’.
The agricultural sector faces major challenges:
- poor access to farming technologies results in low yields
- inadequate access to farming inputs and markets,
- poor rural transport infrastructure
- low farmer participation in value chains
- low institutional capacity of farmers organizations.
The effects of a 14 year civil war that ended in 2003 and the more recent fight against Ebola has left the country fragile. There are estimated to be around 1.5 million people in rural Liberia living in poverty.
How can you help?
Little Bassa is an impoverished village where many parents struggle to give their children even one basic meal a day. Even though the village is situated in highly fertile land, the community lacks adequate education and training to utilize it.
A meal for an education
Many parents are forced to make short-term decisions to feed their children instead of long term commitments to farming and agriculture which could increase much needed income and reduce poverty.
Providing 200 children with a basic meal in Little Bassa means that their parents can focus their time on workshops to develop sustainable skills in farming instead of worrying about putting food on the table.
Action10 and partners IDEFOCS want to engage the community and its leaders to address the issue of poverty through farming and agriculture. Since 2013, we have been working with the community and want to continue to build a strong relationship.
Help us raise $1000 and give Little Bassa:
- A decent meal for every child
- Entertainment activities for the children
- Christmas gifts for the children
- Workshops about opportunities in agriculture for the community and its leaders
- Together we can empower the community to fight poverty, build strong relations through sustainable grassroots projects and bring some happiness to the children of Little Bassa.